Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


One of my colleagues from work bought this book for me because she was so excited about it and thought I would love it.  And sure enough, I really did enjoy it.

The book is written from the perspective of a dog named Enzo.  His owner, Denny, is a race car driver with a young family.  The dog chronicles his own life alongside the lives of his family and details the many tribulations that they endure through lifes many challenges. 


The dog is intelligent, philosophical, insightful and wise.  A true dog-lover's dog.  He believes that he will be re-incarnated as a human in his next life which is apparently a belief of ancient Mongolians.  There are many metaphors made in the book between life and racing a car, which the dog knows lots about due to his owner and many lonely hours of TV watching on the Speed network. 



I don't want to give too much away, as I think one of the things I liked most about it was the storytelling aspect and the way the whole turn of events unfold in the writing.  It also is very evocative; both my colleague and myself were crying at different parts.  From a language/writing perspective, it is a really easy read and chapters seem to fly by.  The realism of the book, taking place in contemporary times was another quality that I found compelling. 

In short, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a great, quick read.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment